Monday, February 7, 2011

Day eight (Friday Feb 4th)

Today we were headed to the University of Moscow to go teach there as well. Crazy huh, not only will I be teaching little kids, but know we are going to the University once a week to talk with the students there and help them improve on their English. So we had to be there about 9 am so I woke up at 5:45 and showered and started to get ready so we could leave our house at 7:15 to make it to the bus stop on time. Now I am usually not a morning person and I love to stay up at night, but my schedule has definitely changed in this week. I can’t seem to stay awake past 10 or 10:30 at night and I am up by 6 or 6:30 in the morning.  For another example it is Saturday morning as I am writing this. And we didn’t have any where to go today so we wanted to all sleep in and have a relaxing day. Well I went to bed at 10 and I was up by 8 and everyone else is still asleep.  It think it’s because I’m not used to having so much sleep so I just wake up. I guess it’s a good thing if I can change my habit to be asleep at a decent time and awake early it will help when I go back home.  I also think it’s because my bed is soooo hard and uncomfortable it just hurts my back and hips to sleep on so I would just rather wake up then lay there and be uncomfortable. 

 So back to Friday, we went into Moscow and headed to the University and we all thought we were teaching but nope, classes don’t start till Monday. So we went there to sign a paper that says we got our migration card and our registration to the school, so that way if we ever get stopped by the police they can see why we are in their country.  And also to see how to get to the school which is still confusing on how the get on all the metro’s and going the right way. That’s why I’m glad we have Alexis, I feel when were with her we’ll get to the right stops.  Though we did miss our stop on the way home but that was because none of us really were paying attention or knew what to say to the driver to make him stop.  So we were dropped off at the next stop which really wasn’t that far from our stop to get home. So no big deal not like we had to walk five miles or anything big like that. 

 So once home I changed my clothes and headed back to our school because I had to teach the older kids at 2. Maddi, Daphne and I went to the school at 1:50 and started to get set up and wait for the kids, well 2 rolled around then 2:15 then 2:30 and no kids I was kind of like well that’s fine, I was nervous to teach these kids anyway, but then I just wanted to get it done and over with. Well the kids finally showed up and we taught them from 2:40 to 3:45. Well let me tell you teaching these kids was a disaster.  They wanted nothing to do with us and just thought we were stupid and were very defiant at everything we said and when I asked the one kid Sasha for his toy car several times I finally said, do you want me to call your parents, and that sent him off and he ran out of class and Maddi went after him and had to chase him all the way to the top of the school and try and calm him down and get him to come back to class. Meanwhile Daphne and I were left with the other kids who now really wanted nothing to do with us.  And everything we were trying was just not working.  I felt like such a failure and had run out of ideas, so when Maddi came back with Sasha I let her finish with her lesson and  that didn’t really work either so basically we just wished for the clock to hurry and hit 3:45 so we could all leave.  

Then we headed to the kindergarten school and hoped for better lessons. Which it was better the kids are starting to see that we are in charge and we are not leaving.  I guess the other teachers at the school told Guliya that we are already better than last semester’s teachers and they are happy with us. Awesome!! We have only taught for two days, and to hear that was great.  I can only hope to keep improving and hopefully make a difference in these kids life and they can make a difference in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment